Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Joy of Giving


How do we teach our children... "It is better to give than to receive."

We have a rule in our house and we have remained steadfast to this rule even as our children have become non-believers. Our children drafted letters to Santa every year but their lists looked very different than my nieces and nephews lists.

You see we told our children that they could only ask for 3 things from Santa. We told them that Santa needed room in his sleigh to bring more toys to the children in the world who did not have Grandmothers and Grandfathers and Aunts and Uncles who could or would give them presents. They never questioned it, not even when their friends would get ridiculous amounts of stuff.

They appreciated those gifts on Christmas morning and loved them and played with them. I think this allowed them to understand what it feels like to get a gift. Because they know how wonderful it feels they now want to give that wonderful feeling to others. They understand that gifts do not have to be stuff but can be kind words or deeds. They can give the gift of time or comfort or hope. Gifts do not just come in boxes with ribbons and bows.


It will be fun watching them "teach" their baby brother the joy of giving. They are certainly practicing on this little man right now. They keep coming up with fun things for the baby this year and are struggling to give me 3 items for their "Santa" lists. This is causing me to become creative in my giving this year. See, we can all still learn to be better givers.


I think this is the greatest gift we could have given our children. And the gift I receive when watching the joy in their faces and eyes and hearts when they give to others...well that is the greatest gift.

8 comments:

katie said...

That's a very sweet post, Jen! I like the 3 things idea, and love the idea of having a conversation about what gifts can (and should) be for one another. Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl said...

Yeah, a very nice idea. Too many gifts go unappreciated I think. It's just too much.

When Eleanor gets older, I'd like to have her volunteer during the holidays and give in ways other than materials gifts.

Hey - I saw you added Mackin Ink to your sidebar, isn't she amazing? wow.

Jennifer said...

Mackin Ink is an amazing story teller.

Cat Herself said...

I've always tried to limit Xmas gifts, too. sometimes, though, I feel like I just can't help it! I want to give him more! We always stress that our time together is the most important thing. Our time with family and friends is extremely valuable, and I feel like he really "gets it". Nice post - makes me realize I don't need to rush around to find that computer game he just asked for yesterday.

Beth said...

A wonderful post. For A's birthday we had our guests bring books to donate to children's hospital rather than gifts for her (they did both) and hope to continue this tradition as she gets older to reminder that special events are about marking the joys in life not to receive gifts.

Amanda said...

What a wonderful and important tradition...I am glad you shared it!

Anonymous said...

A thoughtful and beautiful post.

Now from the sublime to the ridiculous. I got tagged with a Meme and now TAG, you're it. Hopefully, it will give you another post and spread the Link Lurve.

Rules here

Cheryl said...

Hey Jen! You've been "tagged" by me with a Christmas Meme. Come visit me and see. xx