Friday, December 5, 2008

Stop Reading Right Now Young Lady!


Teen C loves to read. I cannot get her nose out of the computer. Yes, the computer. She spends hours reading books online. I think a Kindle is in her future. It drives me insane, and I love technology. I cannot figure out why I am so bothered that she is reading books on her computer, maybe I am getting old. I don't cringe when I see her holding a book curled up on the sofa. I don't cringe when I see her reading in the bathroom, well maybe a little but you know you do it too.


So what is my problem? She isn't being anymore antisocial than she is with a book in her hands, or even without, she is after all a teenager. She isn't hiding what she is reading. She will often bring the computer to me and say "Mom you have to read this it is soooo good." I read on the computer too, mostly work related stuff and not so much for pleasure, except my favorite blogs. And those of you who follow me on twitter know I must be sick if I haven't tweeted 100 times during the day. I mean, I do love my computer.


Where am I going with this? I guess I just need to get over it already. How lucky am I that my kid loves to read? It is time to stop my complaining and embrace the digital books she loves so much. It doesn't matter what medium she uses to do her reading, it only matters that she is reading.

**If Amazon is listening...Feel free to send me a KINDLE and my Teen will be a very willing tester. Possible untapped market for KINDLE, teenagers!**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think reading off an electronic device would be really, really hard on the eyes. Sounds like a Kindle is the only answer. Unless you can get her a Solar battery pack for the laptop that she'll be lugging with her everywhere.

Jennifer said...

It gives me a headache just thinking about reading a computer screen as much as she does. She already wears glasses so it isn't going to make her eyesight any worse, I hope.